Makes: 2 8-inch pans, enough for stuffing for 12
Let’s make x2 Can make ahead and freeze
3 cups fine-grind cornmeal
1 cup flour
3 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
2 teaspoons kosher salt
A few grinds of pepper
2 ½ cups milk
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
2 2-teaspoon pats salted butter
1. Heat: Set 2 8-inch cast-iron skillets in a cold oven. Heat to 400 degrees.
2. Whisk: In a large bowl whisk together cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and pepper.
3. Mix: In a large glass measuring cup whisk together milk, melted butter, and egg. Pour liquid over dry ingredients and stir with a fork. Don’t fret over lumps.
4. Bake: Pull on reliable oven mitts and pull hot pan out of oven. Drop in butter and swirl to coat bottom of pan. Scrape in batter and smooth. Return to oven and bake until a toothpick poked in the middle comes out clean, about 18 – 20 minutes.
5. Store: Invert onto a rack. Cool. If working ahead, wrap and freeze. Break up for stuffing.